The Online Teaching Institute (OTI)
The Online Teaching Institute (OTI) is one of the signature programs at the Center for the Advancement of Teaching. This institute is designed to support faculty members and teaching assistants who want to improve their skills in designing and delivering effective online courses that promote student success. The OTI is led by CAT instructors and is available to both novice and experienced online instructors. The course consists of 3 weeks, with an expected time commitment of about 5 hours per week. The course is offered in an asynchronous format, which means that there are no live meetings required. After completing the course, participants will receive a Letter of Completion.
Upon successful completion of the OTI, you will be able to:
- Identify strategies to establish presence and build community online.
- Explore key elements of integrated course design.
- Design online assessments that help improve student learning.
- Explore engaging online learning activities.
- Identify methods of structuring an online course that motivates learners and help them succeed.
- Prepare your online course with accessibility in mind.
- Apply evidence-based practices for effective teaching and learning in an online learning environment.
To learn more, please refer to the OTI course description for more details.