Welcome to the Teaching Assistant (TA) Orientation
Date: Wednesday and Thursday, August 17 and 18, 2022
Time: 9:00 AM - 12:30 PM
Location: Hosted fully online via Zoom
This orientation, conducted over two mornings, will prepare you to be an excellent teaching assistant at Temple University. At the general sessions, you will learn about the Temple student community and what resources are available to support them. You will also learn how to manage challenging situations in the classroom. Topical breakout sessions will focus on various aspects of teaching, such as motivating and engaging students, facilitating discussions, being thoughtful about inclusion and accessibility in your classroom, grading, and teaching effectively online.
- We've added two additional optional tech workshops to our schedule of events. These events require separate registration. Click on the links below to register.:
- Teaching with Canvas for TAs, 2:00pm - 3:30pm, Wednesday, August 17, 2022
- Teaching with Zoom for TAs, 2:00pm - 3:30pm, Thursday, August 18, 2022
Who should attend TA Orientation?
Participation in both morning sessions on August 17 and 18 is mandatory for new Temple Teaching Assistants (0-1 semesters). Returning TAs are encouraged to attend. Don't miss this opportunity to build community, and share resources and good teaching practices with other Temple TAs across the disciplines.
How can I benefit from attending? You will have the opportunity to
- Acquire practical guidance on the art and science of teaching and learning
- Create community with your fellow TAs
- Share your concerns and get practice handling real-world “what would I do if…?” scenarios you may encounter with your students
- Learn about the different campus departments and other resources that are here to assist and support you and your students
Previous participants said...
- "The breakout session was great, engaging, informative, and really opened my eyes to the possibilities and pitfalls of discussions."
- "I learned of [CAT]'s tools, resources, and support system for TAs that I plan to use throughout the year."
Questions about the orientation?
Please contact Emtinan Alqurashi, Assistant Director of Educational Technoloy, at email@example.com. On behalf of Linda and the entire CAT team, we can’t wait to meet you and spend the day with you!